Friday 9 July 2021

Playing in Style

Among many others things coming in update 7.0, SWTOR is getting 'Combat Styles'. Combat Styles will fix a mistake I made almost a decade ago...

Back in 2012 I tentatively logged into SWTOR and created my first character, a Jedi Sentinel. This valiant Jedi has been my main protagonist over all these years, but something has always bothered me: I have to use two lightsabers. I really just want to use one, in a classic Jedi sort of way.

This boils down to my own stupidity at character creation stage. In my early days with SWTOR I didn't understand that Sentinels dual-wielded and Guardians had a single blade. I thought I could just equip whatever weapons I liked, and the Sentinel seemed like the most 'Jedi' class to my eyes back then. (In retrospect, it's definitely not.)

I was already invested in the early story when I realised my mistake, and for whatever reason I failed to start over. The years only compounded my hesitance to start a new Guardian and get my single saber. The more I progressed through the story on my Sentinel, the less I wanted to do away with the character. You really become attached to them as the narrative drives on.

Yes, I know you can physically use one lightsaber as a Sentinel, but you lose many of your abilities in the process. Since 6.0 and the Item Rating mechanic, without a second blade you're also not going to be meeting Item Rating 306, which means the equipment you get from missions and mobs will be far below this level.

And yes, my Sentinel looks super-cool (below), but I'd really like to explore new story content with just the one saber.










Enter update 7.0! From December, each Force-user class will have access to the advanced class (now called Combat Styles) of every other Force-user class. Similarly, every tech-based class (Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, Troopers and Agents) will have access to each others' styles. This means you'll also have access to that combat style's weapon proficiencies.

Loadouts will be implemented, making it simple (we assume) to swap between combat styles at will (or near enough at will).

Finally, I'll be able to make my Jedi main a single blade-wielding Guardian, fulfilling the dream I had all the way back in 2012. Of course I've made Guardian characters since, but there'll be something extremely satisfying about getting my main to fight in that style.

I'm excited to experiment with different styles for all of my other characters, but I'm particularly looking forward to 7.0 for my troopers. I spend a lot of time getting my characters looking just the way I want, and combat styles will definitely help with my range of Clone Trooper look-a-likes! Finally I'll be able to equip them with more than just a blaster rifle...


As many have pointed out, here come the Captain Rex cosplays!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have my main, a bounty hunter, wield a cannon. So if I'm able to I will definitely be picking the commando as my secondary profile. Haven't decided yet what I want my other main alts to have and probably won't decide until 7.0 drops.

    ReplyDelete